Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:04:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day Press Reports: Linux, Linux, Linux

> I wish people would stop looking at this so one-dimensionally.  The
> function of these events is not JUST to stoke the press, though that's
> always nice, but to also meet some of your fellow geeks and plant the
> seed that maybe Linux isn't the only game in town and there are others
> who feel just as passionately about a different solution.

There were a *lot* of Linux people getting FreeBSD CDROM's out there,
I have to admit.  8-).

I was also disappointed that there wasn't a FreeBSD "Press Handler"
there (that would be *you*, Jordan; I'm not nearly as good at
"speechifyin'").

> Given time, I expect that people both inside and outside the press
> will get tired of Linux since even the most aggressive press agent has
> a hard time getting it to stay focused on anything (just ask the
> artist formerly known as Prince) and it will be our 15 minutes on
> stage, assuming that we don't screw it up.

An excellent point.

FreeBSD should be putting together a well rehearsed and very polished
performance for when the clock rolls around to FreeBSD's 15 minutes
so that they are used to best advantage.  I think that Linux is, in
a lot of ways, squandering large amounts of their stage time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.