Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:35:04 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, clefevre@noos.fr, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for bsd.lib.mk to create include and lib dirs

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> As I stated in my original post though, this patch is meant for outside
> software packages which might still like to use bsd.lib.mk, install
> their stuff in /usr/local or such, and have the install fail because
> no one has created /usr/local/include/outsidepkg/.

I somehow think our *.mk files are unsuitable for a wide audience. They
seem to be made very specificly targeted for the FreeBSD source tree.
Making the change is a signal that we promote/support the use of these
files outside the source tree and I don't think we can deliver. This
normally ends up in endless hackery until someone does a rewrite.

> And once again, yes, I know this can be done by overriding the
> beforeinstall target, but this requires knowledge of the inner workings
> of bsd.lib.mk - namely, explicitly invoking ${MAKE} _includeinstall.
> I suspect _includeinstall has that underscore for a reason ;)

Hmmm, yes. I see what you mean. beforeinstall should have been an
(empty) leaf dependency for it to be easily overridable.

If we ever want to rewrite the *.mk files, these hacks will very likely
go away and break their use outside the source tree. Other than this, if
noone objects or has any good alternatives, don't let me stop you from
making the change.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org