Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:12:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nicolas Blais <nicblais@videotron.ca>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! -CURRENT libtool problem.

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Q:  I want to use this cool piece of software that's in the FreeBSD
>     ports system.  But I can't build it on my 3.x-stable system.
>
>     Why not?
>
> A:  Ah, sorry.  The ports system only targets -current, trying to get
>     it to work with -stable is too much work.  If you want to be sure
>     of using the ports system successfully you need to be running
>     -current.
> </advocate>

  A:  E-mail the port maintainer.  You'll find that's a lot easier.  And
      if the port maintainer doesn't respond/and or you want it fixed
      ASAP, instead of going through the hassel of (for new people)
      learning how to cvsup make build world, etc, fix the problem
      yourself.

      Also: Last I checked the port system didn't "target" -current.
      Infact I bet more stuff compiles under -stable than -current,
      esspecially when things are getting shaken up.

I think the real issue is that people see/hear that something works under
-current and without thinking of the other tradeoffs (ie; they can't just
type 'make' and it all works without them knowing what is going on), leap
off and go to -current because at the time it was the easiest way to get
something working.

You're basically restating something we already know.  -current has the
latest.  Sometimes this means that it has more because its all working
pretty well, sometimes it doesn't.  We know this.  That's the point.

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -