Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 19:57:25 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   hangs in FreeBSD2.2

We have been seeing occasional hangs (processes hanging)
on our 2.2 (a few months old) kernels

the mechanism is:

process a does vfork() and waiths with wchan = "ppwait"
child waits with wchan of "kmaw".

(in kmem_alloc_wait())

without going into great detail,
can you say if anything has been done
recently that  would aleviate this problem?
and is htere a tuning parameter that would build more
 of whatever it is that is running short?

we end up with all processes haung (from csh)

I'm off home now but If you guys don't have an easy answer off the top
of your heads, I'll spend real energy on it tomorrow.

thanks

julian