Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:30:36 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting from Promise tx2000

>If your BIOS supports this, try setting the boot device in CMOS
>configuration to SCSI Boot Device.

it does, and that's how we have it.

>  The problem is that the offboard ATA
>controller you are using has its own BIOS, thus the system BIOS will not
>boot a disk attatched to it.

I don't think so, the system BIOS scans the i/o address space for
executable segements and passes control to any that it finds, giving the
disk controller card a chance to run its own code, hook interrupts, etc.

>  Setting SCSI boot device will mostly make your
>BIOS offer to hand booting over to what ever device offers to take it. Most
>(modern) ATA controllers respond to the call for a "SCSI boot device" and
>take controle, then booting the system from the hard drives they own.

agreed, but it's not happening.  We've played a lot with the System bios
settings and with the tx2000 bios setup utility, which sees the drives
correctly.

Len