Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:19:08 +0530
From:      Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@slashetc.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rich-Murphey@Rice.edu, XFree86@XFree86.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.1 again!

Hi!

I finally got Xfree86 4.0.1 working on freebsd 4.0-RELEASE with my SiS
card 6326 (AGP). But the damn mouse isn't working. From README.FreeBSD
in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc/ in the xfree86 tar.gz (4.0.1),
which is dated 8 November 1998(!!) (author: Rich Murphey, David Dawes),
there is this following para:

<snip>
If you are running ``moused'' (see the man page for moused(8)) in FreeBSD
versions 2.2.1 or later, you MUST specify SysMouse as the mouse protocol type
and /dev/sysmouse as the mouse device name, regardless of the brand and model
of your mouse.
</snip>

I do run moused and so, I suppose I have to specify SysMouse as the
protocol and /dev/sysmouse as the device. This didn't work. The mouse
doesn't move at all. When I specify the protocol as "Auto", then the
mouse works fine until I switch over to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and back
again. The mouse stops working after switching back to X (Ctrl-Alt-F9).

Has anybody faced this problem? I can take a shot at what can be the
problem; how about solving it?

chyrag.
--
Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@slashetc.net> http://slashetc.net/chyrag/