Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:48:18 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating port with options

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:19:24 -0700
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 05:55:26PM -0300, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am creating a port of the Core War system pMARS (the existent port
> > is version 0.8, lastest is 0.9.2), and I will allow the user to
> > choose the GUI and features. I have some questions:
> >
> > How can I "document" the options for the user?
> >
> > So that typing "make" will not do anything unless it has the
> > required options (or it will use the defaults but first shows the
> > available options). Will be possible for the user to store the
> > configuration somwehere? Wich is the best way to show the user the
> > options (before the building process)?
> >
> > P.S.: how do ports show the sysinstall-like dialog to choose
> > options?
>
> With the OPTIONS variable; please see the porters' handbook and
> bsd.port.mk.
>
> Kris

Hello,

Thank you, that wat exactly what I was looking for (the OPTIONS
variable).

I suppose I should read the whole "bsd.port.mk" Makefile.

P.S.: the Porter's Handbook does not say anything about the "OPTIONS"
variable (at least I did not found it with grep "OPTIONS" * in the
document directory).

Best Regards,
Ale