Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:35:38 -0400
From:      "John Telford" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multihomed natd, nics and default gateways continued.

Thanks Nick, A couple of clarifications for newbie me if you could,

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, John Telford wrote:
>
> > Nick,
> > You are wise in the ways of FreeBSD and routing. Could you take a moment
and provide some tips on how I could expand on your help to John Prince ?
> > I have a similar setup but would like it to behave slightly differently.
My setup:
> > 1 internal interface.
> > 1 external interface doing natd, default gateway routing for the
internal to an isp.
> > We have now brought in a second ISP and put a 3rd interface into the
Freebsd box. I'd like to have a setup like this:

> > ISPA-----------interface A_fxp0
> >                                 fxp2_NATD--interface C---------internal
network 10.130.x.x
> > ISPB-----------interface b_fxp1
> >

> > I would like to have all internal -> external traffic route through
> > ISPA. In the event that ISPA goes down then the ISPB connection should
> > take over automatically with out the users noticing except that things
> > are slower because ISPB is a slower connection. This means the default
> > gateway would have to change on the fly and I can't seem to locate
> > much information on how this can work.
>

>    For ipfw:
>
>   #Divert traffic from internal out and in interface ISP A
>   ipfw add 101 divert natd ip from any to any via $fxp0
>
>   #Divert traffic from internal network in and out ISP B
>   ipfw add 201 divert natd2 ip from any to any via $INTERFACE_A
>
>   #Leave on for testing until it works
>   ipfw add 3000 allow ip from any to any
>
>    For natd:
>   Then after you do that setup the 2 different natd`s to listen on
>   different ports (default 8668) and another entry int
>   /etc/services:
>
> natd2           8669/divert # Network Address Translation
>
> Then run the nat`s seperately:
>
>   root# natd -p 8668 -n fxp0
>   root# natd -p 8669 -n fxp1

The proper place to have these load at boot would be rc.conf or rc.local or
?

>    For routing:
>
>     Add 2 default routes, one primary (ISP A) and one backup (ISP
>     B).  Since ISP A is a prefered route...it gets the more specific
>     route:
>
>       root# route add -net 0.0.0.0 $GATEWAY_IP_ISP_A -netmask 128.0.0.0
>       root# route add -net 128.0.0.0 $GATEWAY_IP_ISP_A -netmask 128.0.0.0
>
>       root# route add -net 0.0.0.0 $GATEWAY_IP_ISP_B -netmask 0.0.0.0
My tcp/ip is weak, how does  applying a route for 128.0.0.0 work here ? or
what happens in the box if ISP_A goes down ?