Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 98 09:52:11 +0000
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha-osf-managers@ornl.gov
Cc:        john@zyqad.co.uk
Subject:   Problem using emacs dired across network

I have a slight problem using emacs dired - I'm continually getting error 10003.

What I have is the following:

A DEC Alpha running emacs on OSF/1 v3.0.  This has some FreeBSD filesystems
mounted using NFS.  Whenever I run dired onto a long directory I only get 40-50
lines of the dired.  The rest is missing and I get an error in the top of the
dired window saying error 10003 occurred.  I can do dired from this alpha to any
of the other servers in the office (DEC, SUN) with no problem but to the FreeBSD
box I get this error.  I do not get this problem running the other way round.
Emacs on the FreeBSD box with the DEC filesystems NFS mounted.  I also don't get
a problem on our NT boxes using SAMBA - the Alpha is the main SAMBA machine as
well.

I assume that I have misconfigured something somewhere but I'm not sure if it is
on the Alpha or the FreeBSD box.  Both machines are in each others hosts.equiv
file and I can see nothing different in their respective setups.

I've posted this to both the FreeBSD list and the osf managers list and I hope
someone can help as this is annoying me.

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)