Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 02:13:35 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Homerton Webmaster <webmaster@homerton.org.uk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Servers

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 10:40:20PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > FUD.
>
> Except for the fact that it's a fact, as has recently been shown. :(

... and proven to be a false alarm. I'd post a URL to the author's
response but securityfocus.com's mailing list searches seem to work
just about as well as www.freebsd.org's.

> > proftpd is excellent.
>
> If security isn't important.  Currently I know of know full-featured FTP
> server that has source available and is freeware.

The recent post to bugtraq was proven down by the proftpd author.

Full featured is in the eye of the beholder, I've never seen a freeware
server that has as many features (and easy configuration) as proftpd.

If we're going to be wiseasses, I wouldn't reccomend FreeBSD or any
other operating system ever, because once they had security holes. I'd
worry more about active maintainership then about how many "security
labs" have found that when you pass 1400 AAAAs to a arguement the server
crashes.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org