Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:22:21 -0600
From:      Tim <tim@sleepy.wojomedia.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )
References:  <3C9EFED0.DB176CB8@mindspring.com> <20020325115207.GA22032@sleepy.wojomedia.com> <3C9F1A16.207EA23E@mindspring.com> <20020325140022.GA23251@sleepy.wojomedia.com> <3C9FB0CB.C1C0CD89@mindspring.com> <20020325234504.GA31239@sleepy.wojomedia.com> <3C9FBE01.DE7FFFB4@mindspring.com> <3C9FC19E.9BAC6FB8@mindspring.com> <20020326105155.GA7902@sleepy.wojomedia.com> <3CA0D227.3511A2C4@mindspring.com>

> If this were the case, then it would be non-interoperable, unless
> you specifically dedicated a VIP to the task; the problem is that
> you'd have to bind multiple programs to the same port/IP pair.
> About the only way you could do this would be to use the BPF, as
> seperate programs don't allow for the idea of a MUX based on the
> query type within the packet.  This is considered a security
> feature of djbdns.

  Yes I agree this is a design limitation.  I always figure djb would
one day write a mux in front of all his *dns programs or figure out
another way.  Maybe not.  ;-)

> But...
> in the case of the close semantics, items maked for update are
> required to be updated on final close, and so you eat the full
> overhead, even if you play fast and lose with the POSIX compliance
> and comply with the lesser semantics of the SUS2.

> Overall, opening and closing a file each time is a very bad thing,
> performance-wise, even though it resolves a number of ordering
> issues.

  Hmm, I always thought cdb is operating under these principles:

1) the file is never updated (so close() shouldn't be too costly,
if at all.  You certainly understand under the hood better than I on
this)
2) the rename() operation occurs fairly infrequently (i.e. once every
minute or 5 minutes at most).
3) the OS is reasonably smart about caching the file so repeatedly
open(), 2 seeks(), 1 read(), and close() is relatively lightweight.

  So I would not have guessed close() is a big problem.

> I think we are back to the port/IP pair conflict for listens for
> incoming requests.  The djbdns really can't support an overall
> framework without modification.

  I am in full agreement here and the rest of your e-mail.

  Tim