Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:29:37 -0500
From:      Nick Buraglio <nick@buraglio.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application layer firewall on FreeBSD, is it possible ?

I think what the pf developers will tell you (and what I think is =20
correct) is that firewalling is meant for layer 3 and layer 7 is =20
meant to be proxied.  I hear the l7 stuff for linux is somewhat of a =20
messy hack (although it does seem to work).  I asked what they =20
thought of this a few years ago just out of curiosity and was =20
answered with some fairly good responses re: l7 filtering.  At least =20
in regards to pf, I don't think it will ever be able to do it since =20
thats not really what it's for (again, though, I'm not a developer on =20=

that project so I really have no idea of their roadmap).  I'd =20
recommend a combination of snort2pf and transparent squid to start, =20
of course you can always use the linux stuff if you aren't opposed to =20=

using linux.

Check out snort2pf http://www.thinknerd.org/~ssc/wiki/doku.php?=20
id=3Dsnort2pf  It should do what you want it to do.

nb