Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:12:37 -0500
From:      "Josh Abbe" <joshabbe@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plextor DVDRW not recognized during install

Hey everyone,

First of all, I hope I am doing this (sending a mass email) correctly.  I
didn't see any instructions or guidelines, so here goes:

I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 (Amd64).  I am a complete newbie, but I
thought I would be able to do it following the FreeBSD Hand Book.  Well,
everything looked like it was going fine.  I chose a language/country, set
the auto configuration for the HDD partitions, and eventually got to the
screen that asked me to choose which media to install from.  I chose
CD/DVD.  Then, it gave me an error saying that the system could not detect
my CD drive.  Weird...since it seemed to know the drive was there to get me
to that point.

Right now, installing over FTP is not an option.  I posted my problem in a
FreeBSD forum, but no one seemed to have any solutions other than to send an
email to the DL (as I am doing now).

The drive I am trying to install off of is the (SATA) Plextor DVDRW (PX -
716A/SW)
I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo, an 80 Gb WD SATA HDD (where FreeBSD will go),
a 150 Gb WD Raptor X (with Win XP currently installed), an AMD FX-60
dual-core proc (2.6Ghz), a GeForce 7900 GTX, 2GB Corsair memory, Sound
Blaster X-Fi, etc...  I cant think of any more parts that would make a
difference.

Thank you all in advance,
~Josh

P.S.  Remember, I am a NEWBIE!!!  If anyone can think of anything that I
could try to get this working, please give very specific steps.  I dont know
anything about Unix yet, so everything I do comes right from the steps in
the manual.  Thanks.