Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:12:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        jord@gnawk.dial.eunet.es, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 3.5 G HD for FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 03:28:38PM -0800, Marty Leisner wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 12:50:55AM +0100, J. Jordana wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry to ask but I haven't seen this in any FAQ.
>>>
>>> Coming from Linux, I want to partition a new HD with 3.5 G for FreeBSD only.
>>> I would like to know the space requirements for:
>>>
>>> /
>>> /usr
>>> /usr/home
>>> /usr/src
>>> /usr/local
>>>
>>> for a full installation, all sources included from the 2.2.5 Walnut Creek
>>> CDROM
>>
>> /	40 MB
>> swap	128 MB
>> /usr	the rest
>>
>> There's no reason to have separate file systems for /usr/src and
>> /usr/local.  Some people prefer a separate /var file system, but I
>> don't recommend that either.  Instead create a directory /usr/var and
>> make /var a symlink to that directory.
>
> Hmmm...I'm not sure I agree...
>
> I like to have more partitions for several reasons:
> 	1) if you fill up 1 partition, you still have space elsewhere

Not if you have filled up all your partitions.  If you only have one
partition, you will have space in that partition up to the point where
all partitions of a multi-partition scheme would be full.

> 	2) if a partition for some reason gets scrogged, the others
> 	will still work.

That's a valid point.  That's why I still think a separate root file
system is a good idea, and I think that there is significant merit in
the idea of a combined read-only root and /usr file system.

> 	On many systems, /usr can be read-only for all practical purposes,
> 	with /usr/tmp on a writable system.

Well, except I'd then call it /var/tmp.

> I would like to see a discussion of this in documentation.

Probably a good idea.  First, though, a discussion here (or on one of
the other fora) would help.

Greg