Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:41:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      remy@synx.com
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Euro key ?

On 22 Apr, Soren Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Just a reminder for the developers:
>>
>> In the near future some european countries will get a new common
>> currency, the "Euro". Siemens, e.g., does all internal money exchange in
>> Euro from 1999 on.
>>
>> The symbol for the Euro is some kind of "round E with two lines in the
>> middle". Sorry, I can't describe it better than that. :-)
>>
>> Some german computer manufactors (Siemens ...) already ship PCs with the
>> Euro symbol at position AltGr-E (and I believe a patched Win95 that
>> supports it).
>
> Yeah but where is it in the iso8859-1 page ??
> I can easily put it on your keyboard when I know what charcode its
> supposed to have ??

Don't worry about that. The great politicians will decide this later
about the possibility of setting-up a commission who will decide the
opportunity to editing the guidelines for a meeting of technodisabled
guys that finaly will decide for replacing the letter 'E' by the
glyph (a '$' sign merged with the greek Epsilon) they invented and call
it the ISO/8859\EURO.1$*EE.

No hurry. Let's wait to see what funny code the Wxx will return, put it
on keyboard mapping, and let European users fontedit the X fonts to have
things match.