Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:17:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        rsowders@usgs.gov (Robert Sowders)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI 320

[ You may want to configure your mailer/text editor so your lines are no
longer than 80 characters. ]

Robert Sowders wrote...
> Has anyone looked into getting Freebsd to work on the SGI 320 or 540.  This a SGI pc, the bus speeds are impressive.  The box was built to run NT and that is all that SGI is looking at right now.   I saw a demo of this system by SGI the other day and it is a screamer.  All bus speeds are 6 times faster than Intel bus speeds.  An efficient OS and this box would make for one impressive server, and cheap too.  It almost makes NT look ok.

I talked to an SGI engineer about their visual workstations a couple of
weeks ago.  One thing that he told me that isn't explicitly stated in their
spec sheets/web pages is that the machine has a unified memory
architecture, like the O2, I suppose.  That means that the system memory is
shared with the graphics subsystem.

This would present some challenges for getting the graphics subsystem on
those boxes working correctly with XFree86.  My guess is that it would
require some VM support from FreeBSD, or at the very least a way to
configure the kernel to reserve a certain chunk of RAM for the graphics
subsystem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry