Date:      Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:05:17 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Brian Kee <brianakee@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passing Options to Dependancies During make

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 08:36:00PM -0500, Brian Kee wrote:
> How would one go about passing OPTIONS to a dependancy during a port make=
.=20
> For example,=20
>  PORTA depends upon PORTB, but to build PORTB correctly so that is has so=
me=20
> functionality required to operate correctly with PORTA you have to set so=
me=20
> option (WITH_XXX) during the build process of PORTB. How can one configur=
e=20
> the PORTA Makefile to tell the PORTB Makfile to use a specific option?
>  Is this possible?
>  If we set WITH_XXX=3Dyes during the make of PORTA, will this be passed d=
own=20
> to the build process of PORTB?=20
> (e.g. cd /usr/ports/PORTA; make WITH_XXX=3Dyes)

This is a FAQ.  The real answer is that even if you could do this, it
wouldn't work if the user already had PORTB installed, and what you
should do is make a slave port of PORTB that turns on the option by
default and CONFLICTS with the main PORTB, so it will at least fail
gracefully in this case.

Kris

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--