Date:      Tue, 23 May 1995 23:15:43 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, mark@grondar.za, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: top(1)

In message <199505240521.WAA03738@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami | =?I
SO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= writes:
>For one thing, it is fairly frequently upgraded and works with only
>minor changes for FreeBSD.  It is much easier to maintain a port of a
>piece of software in that case than having it in our main source tree.

And another reason:

It currently doesn't understand the merged VM/buffer cache, and often
confuses people as it reports they have less memory than they actually
do, as it doesn't print any information about the number of pages in
the cache (which is of course dynamic).

Personally, I find top indispensable, but I would not like to see it
go into the main source tree - it would become just another external
program which instantly turns the CVS tree into nightmare to maintain.
Yes, there are `proper' ways to do this sort of stuff with CVS, but
all it takes is someone to do it wrong, and bang, you've got a mess on
your hands. Thanks, but no thanks.

Gary