Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:27:17 +0100
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Subject:   Re: Portmaster 3.1 upgrade

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 04:18 +1100, andrew clarke wrote:

> UPDATING should probably be amended upstream to correct this...
>
> Regards
> Andrew

While I'm certainly no authority on the issue, I think that's the wrong
approach and generally (really not speaking about any specific case) -
people, or in this case, system administrators, should know how to
operate their working environment and don't just blindly enter commands
"as they found them", without trying to understand what will happen next
and/or how it will get interpreted.

Otherwise we will keep ending with things like this particular example
from UPDATING:

20100518:
Please manually delete apache-2.\* if installed _before_ updating using
either portmaster or portupgrade

I think there's no need to explain why such "dumbing down" (even though
in a good spirit) can lead to serious issues, or in this case - if
someone actually tries to remove the "apache-2.\*" package, only to find
there is no such thing.

m.

--
Michal Varga,