Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 10:56:04 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        akbeech@sinbad.net, Rob Gridley <rob@mhzdesign.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel and userland versions

On Monday 13 May 2002 10:30 am, Beech Rintoul wrote:
| On Monday 13 May 2002 05:30 am, you wrote:
| > Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question. I haven't been able to find
| > an answer anywhere else.
| >
| > I know running say a 4.x kernel with a 3.x system is a bad idea, but what
| > about a 4.5-RELEASE-p4 kernel with a 4.5-RELEASE system? Is this a
| > problem?
| >
| > I have to recompile the kernel for other reasons and I saw that p4 has
| > some security updates, but I'd rather not 'make world'. Just extra work
| > for me!
| >
| > Thanks!
| >

| >                         Rob Gridley  |  416.626.1777
| >                System Administrator  |  rob@mhzdesign.com
| >           MHz Design Communications  |  http://www.mhzdesign.com
|
| It's never a good idea to run a kernel that's out of sync with the
| userland. The only time you should boot from a different kernel is in an
| emergency. The kernel / userland really a matched unit and getting them out
| of sync will definately cause you extra work down the road. Also don't
| forget to do a mergemaster after you update.

Oh, I don't know about that.  Not recommended, perhaps, but I've done it from
time to time, usually without difficulty, and here he's talking about
4.5-RELEASE-p4, *not* 4.5-STABLE.  It's highly improbable that this will
cause any trouble at all.  The patch-level fixes usually aim to be as
isolated as possible.

Still, it's one of those things where "if it breaks, you get to keep both
pieces."  I'd say "go for it," but if you run into any trouble, build the
world to match the kernel before you post here to ask for help.

Also, not a bad idea to read the notes about the patches before trying this.

The most typical breakages cause things like "top" that are fairly "intimate"
with the kernel to fail.

Also, since I started running cfs, I *never* upgrade without rebuilding
world, kernel, and cfs.  It seems to be really sensitive to upgrades for some
reason.  vmware was also another "canary in the coalmine" sort of program
when I ran it.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go