Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:47:28 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013035648.cf9fb3@mired.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spreading system across four fast scsi disks

dochawk@psu.edu types:
> mike mentioned,
> > Richard E. Hawkins <dochawk@psu.edu> types:
> >If you can split the drives across two controllers, even better.
> That I can do.  I assume I put two little and one big drive on each
> channel?

I can't say without knowing more about what you're doing, but that
sounds reasonable.

> > > What about /var, though?  The purpose of the split is so that the heads
> > > can  be in places likely to be used simultaneously.
>
> > Don't give swap it's own drive. If you're really thinking about giving
> > it 9 gig, give it 2.x gig (x should be > 64K of memory so you can get
> > dumps) on all four drives.
> The reason I changed from 4 18g to 4x9g + 2x18g was to get the heads in
> more positions.  What I'm not grasping is why I don't save time with a
> dedicated swap drive.
> > The second sentence is critical. For swap, the system is smart enough
> > to interleave swap across multiple disks. Let it do it's thing.
> Ahh, it can hit multiple swap sections at once, then?

Yes. That's why having multiple swap devices is faster than having a
dedicated swap device.

> > For example, the 4x9g cheetas might be 1Gig FS, 2Gig swap, 6Gig /home,
> > with vinum used to strip /home across the four devices, possibly with
> > a a mirror as well. The four fs's would be root, /usr, /usr/src and
> > /usr/obj so that rebuilding the world would scream.
> When performance matters, I'll be using all or close to all of memory
> in a very large array or two, running a single instance of a (possibly
> multi-threaded) fortran program.  Each array element is only a few
> words of memory, and they end up accessed in an essentially random
> pattern as I either do an optimization (rather extreme dynamic
> programming) or let the simulated entities interact (genetic
> algorithms).  The models will generally run for hours or
> days.

In that scenario, fhe four potential file systems that get touched
root, /usr, /var, and /home. Change it to 2G of swap and 7G of file
system. I'd put root & /usr on one channel, and /var /home on the
other. Either put /usr/src and /usr/obj on the other two drives as you
mentioned, or symlink them to /var and /home.

	<mike