Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:02:25 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confusion

I guess it boils down to:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Don't upgrade if you are getting along okay with things the way they are.
I've got one server, and it's running 2.2.8-R.  It's lot in life is to run
Apache and PostgreSQL, and 2.2.8 is good enough for that.  It doesn't have
any hardware that's unsupported.  So, I'm not going to upgrade it.

My home computer is for fun, and I like tinkering with it.  So I ugrade
(re-install actually) it whenever a new CD comes out.  It's running 3.1-R
because I just got the CDs less than a week ago.  I love the Walnut Creek
subscription, by the way.  I don't think I'd mind getting another CD in May
(like some people were talking about in recent threads), but I think it would
be excessive if it was any more frequently than that.

By following the mailing lists, I noticed that 3.0 sounded pretty buggy, and
lots of people said, "don't use this release if you aren't interested in
being a guinea pig."  Of course, I'm using my own words here.

I guess my opinion on the "when should I upgrade?" question is it depends on
the role of the computer.  If it's needed for "real work", don't upgrade
unless there is a compelling reason.  It's up to us FreeBSD users to decide
for ourselves if the version we're using is good enough for us.

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware