Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:22:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1015983587.a34c38@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about dump on live filesystems

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > My question: what happens if an inode is freed and assigned to a different
> > file during the dump process? Will I end up with an erroneous bit of data
> > in my restored file?
>
> I haven't checked the code, you have.

Not very well! (rusty C, laziness, etc!)

> It sure sounds like that's what will happen.

Y.

> > Or can I at least rely on dump to leave things in a state such that (for
> > instance) I will get a valid backup of the file at the next level-$n++
> > dump? A backup strategy of level-0 multi-user r/w, followed by a level-1
> > r/o is what I would like to be doing, but various people here have doubts
> > about this producing valid backups 100% of the time.
>
> I think you've got those backwards.

I admint that it's odd, but I don't see how it causes any major problems.
The amount of data we are talking about is large, and on a high use
system, so level-0 single-user takes some time. Minimising user disruption
is a priority.

> The thing to watch for is if the level 1 dump is done at the same time
> as some critical file being updated on a daily basis. That means that
> those files will be bad on every single daily dump, which is probably
> not acceptable.

This is my reasoning for doing the level 1 dump single-user / r.o. Even if
my level-0 dump of the active fs has corrupt files due to reassigned
inodes, the single user level-1 will catch these. Of course the level-0
multi-user backup can not be considered a "good" backup until the level-1
r/o is done, so it should be done asap. The same does not apply to your
suggesuted level-0 r/o, level-1 r/w strategy, which is why mine sounds
"backwards".

> Actually, I recommend that you not do the level above level 0 as level
> 1, but as at least level 2. The exact level will depend on your
> system. Personally, I do level 0, 4, and 8, with 8's happening daily
> and 4's weekly.

I'm not following you here. According to my understanding, a level-($n+1)
backup will include all files changed since the last level-$n. What is the
point in incrementing by more than one in this way?

Thanks for the comments.

Jon

--
Jon Wilson
Netcraft Ltd.                                     Tel: +44 (0)1225 867975