Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:31:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Font <font@couscous.fortdearborn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic on installation boot (Adaptec 7895 + 3.1-RELEASE)

I'm having a panic situation on a fresh install to a 2 gig SCSI disk, as
shown below, equipment detailed below.  2.2.8-RELEASE already works fine
on this machine, although sans SCSI.  I had no disk problems when doing
the installation.  As an added, possibly-related note, when I first tried
the install, and brought up the built-in fxp0 from the install screen, the
box froze and had to be power-cycled.  I can duplicate the panic problem,
as I've done the install three times now with identical results.

Is there anything I can do here?  Is it because there's a wd0 in front of
da0  (wd0 boots first, I then F5, F1 to get it to go 3.1)?  Is it because
I'm trying to boot channel B and not channel A?  I don't have any wide
drives, I've just inherited the Micropolis, and channel B is the only with
a narrow connector.  The Micropolis verifies fine in the Adaptec BIOS.

Computer details:

IBM Intellistation M Pro 6898-22U (333 MHz Pentium II)
64M RAM
Permedia 2 8M
built-in fxp0
built-in ahc0/1 (aic 7895 dual channel)
Crystal audio disabled, SB32AWE installed

Disk details:

Adaptec AIC-7895 SCSI BIOS v1.31
	Channel A: nothing
	Channel B: Disk 2, as below
wdc0: has wd0 on it
wdc1: has CD-ROM on it
wd0: EIDE Seagate ST36530A, standalone
da0: SCSI Micropolis 4221 (4221-09 1128RQ 28RQ) narrow, internal, id=0,
terminated

What GENERIC kernel says while it's booting for the first time, and every
subsequent attempt:

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x03 int a irq 9 on
pci0.9.0
ahc0: aic7895 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x03 int a irq 9 on
pci0.9.1
ahc1: aic7895 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
changing root device to da1s1a
changing root device to da1a
da0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <MICROP 4221-09   1128RQ 28RQ> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 1955MB (4004219 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 249C)
Error 6: panic: cannot mount root(2)

syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

All typos are mine.