Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:31:43 -0700
From:      joe <joe-dated-1035495205.1c05e6@dubium.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trying to write a crash dump  -> Trying to debug a kernel panic

I posted this in questions@freebsd.org and got no takers.  I thought I'd
try here.
I am trying to debug a boot time kernel panic.  This is completely new
territory for me and I need some help. I'm taking this one step at a
time, the first step is to get a crash dump.

swap is 256MB, RAM is 256MB

This is a repeateable panic which occurs when I boot from my windows
partition to my FreeBSD partition.  Once the panic occurs, booting
again clears the problem.

Following the documentation in
-http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/k
erneldebug.html

has gotten me so far, but I am stuck.  I can trap and get dumped into
the debugger (I think it's the debugger, the prompt is "db>").  However
I am trying to  get a core dump written and that's where I am having no
success.

1) I've added the kernel debugging options
     --
     options              DDB     #Debug Support
     makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

2) made and installed the kernel,

3) added the following params to the rc.conf file
    --
    dumpdir="/var/crash"
    dumpdev="/dev/ad0s2b"

4)  executed the command  "dumpon -v /dev/ad0s2b"
5) rebooted to wwindows
6) rebooted to freeBSD -> panic -> "db> prompt"

7) At this point I examined a few commands, (e.g. trace, show reg)
    and finished with the "panic" command which according to the
    documentation at

      http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/  \
      books/developers-handbook/x9854.html

   "This will cause your kernel to dump core and reboot,
    so you can later analyze the core on a higher level with gdb. "

8)  At which the system rebooted and came up, but with no core file

Joe Sotham
Christianity got over the difficulty of furious opposites
by keeping them both and keeping them furious.
                      - G.K. Chesterton