Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:58:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kermit,tip,cu & /dev/cuaa3

I'm trying to get any of the available comm programs to run. I've
tried to correctly modify the /etc/remote, /etc/phones & /etc/modems
files, but still have yet to get a dial tone.

I'm using a USR Sportster 14.4 V.42   Luckily, the sportster is listed
in one of the /etc files.

My /dev files include cuaa[0-3].  There are no /dev/com? files there,
as listed in some of the faq's. Also. I've tried to make a /dev/modem
symbolic link to /dev/cuaa3, but in kermit, when I "set line /dev/cuaa3"
or "set line /dev/modem" I get ".. Device not configured".

"set line /dev/cuaa0" does allow kermit to attempt dialing, of course
that won't get me a dial tone.
My com port in DOS (my only working connection) is com4.  I've also
looked in the /etc/uucp directory, changed a few things there, but
no luck.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on the configuration of the comm
programs?
I'm certainly willing to learn how to use kermit, it looks like fun.
That said, does minicom run on FreeBSD? I haven't seen it at the
distribution sites.

Thanks

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com