Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2021 21:12:33 +0200
From:      Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh_dispatch_run_fatal on Rpi4 building www/firefox

On 14/04/2021 15:49, bob prohaska wrote:
> While attempting to compile www/firefox on an RPi4 running -current
> the make process stopped with
>
> Bad packet length 3554809687.
> ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to 192.168.1.11 port 22: Connection corrupted
>
> on the controlling terminal.
>
> After updating to 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #15 main-8cca7b7f2:
> Tue Apr 13 17:46:39 PDT 2021
>
> the error promptly recurred if make was restarted without cleaning.
>
> As an experiment, I've restarted the make process via a serial connection
> and it didn't immediately reproduce the error. In all cases the make
> command is
>
> make -DBATCH MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=4 DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes > make.log
>
> and is run in the background. The same make command successfully compiled
> www/chromium via ssh, so I don't think the culprit's the command line.
>
> I rather doubt this is a www/firefox problem, but include freebsd-ports
> in hopes somebody might recognize the error.
>
> Make generates a torrent of warnings using the serial connection, such as:
>
> #if IN_HEADER(__GTK_ITEM_FACTORY_H__)
>      ^
> ./gtkalias.h:10:19: note: expanded from macro 'IN_HEADER'
> #define IN_HEADER defined
>                    ^
> ./gtkalias.h:5366:5: warning: macro expansion producing 'defined' has undefined behavior [-Wexpansion-to-defined]
> #if IN_HEADER(__GTK_LABEL_H__)
>      ^
> ./gtkalias.h:10:19: note: expanded from macro 'IN_HEADER'
> #define IN_HEADER defined
>                    ^
> but seems to keep running via the serial connection. Top reports that
> cc is in state TTYOUT, with WCPU no higher than a few percent, running
> only one thread.
>
> Thanks for reading, and any ideas.
>
> bob prohaska

Hi Bob,

so you compile rpi'side, perhaps could you start sshd with '-E <logfile>' in
order to get more infos.
On the RPI, as root:
1) echo 'sshd_flags="-E /var/log/sshd_debug.log"' >> /etc/rc.conf
2) touch /var/log/sshd_debug.log
3) service sshd restart

(if you already have sshd flags in rc.conf, plz edit instead of the echoing as
above ...)

Then restart your ssh session, and see what happens in the log,

Ps : firefox need a huge amount of memory to compile, according to the number of
compiling instances (eg cpu threads) you have, it could easily reaches >4G, so
your trouble could come from this (sshd cannot be swapped ...), in this case,
try to lowered the number of threads make will use, through one of these options:
DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS: Set to disable the multiple jobs feature.  User settable.
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER: Override the number of make jobs to be used.  User settable.
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT: Set a limit for maximum number of make jobs allowed to
be used.
Get your number of cpu thread:
sysctl -n kern.smp.cpus

hope it helps,