Date:      10 Oct 2000 12:22:31 +0200
From:      Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xinerama + 2* MGA 2064W boards

Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com> writes:

> I tried compiling a kernel with two vga devices :
> device vga0 at isa?
> device vga1 at isa?

I don't think you should have to make the kernel bother with the
second graphics card.

> Anyway.. here's the problem methinks, the output from scanpci -v and
> pciconf -l[v].
>
> The second graphics card, where scanpci is saying :
>
>   BASE0     0xa0000000  addr 0xa0000000  MEM
>   BASE1     0xa0800008  addr 0xa0800000  MEM PREFETCHABLE
>   BASEROM   0xd0000000  addr 0xd0000000  not-decode-enabled
>
> Certainly looks to me like it's not figured out what it should do
> with this card, and I think (guess) the driver probably thinks that
> those addresses are valid and setup by the BIOS or something, so it
> then goes and just memmaps it or whatever with an inappropriate area
> of memory as the framebuffer -> Crash.

I also had trouble with a (single) matrox card not being configured
properly by the BIOS in an older PCI-only machine. I finally got it to
work by patching the kernel (NetBSD) to change the PCI-config of that
card to something reasonable before doing anything else with it. Since
then, NetBSD has gotten some code that tries to fix up messy
PCI-configurations (don't know if FreeBSD has this). So maybe you
should just try NetBSD with this option enabled, and see what it says?

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld