Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:52:28 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        jha miku <jha0147@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question regd timestamp option

jha miku wrote:
> In case of active open, the SYN segments always have
> timestamp enabled, since the RFC flg is set. But,
> Currently, I am seeing some SYN segments without
> timestamp option.

FreeBSD (and OS X, and other things using a BSD network stack) will generate
initial TCP SYN packets containing the "MNWNNT" TCP options, at least by
default in the absense of other information or settings.

> The only condition that I am aware of when timestamp
> is disabled, is on sending the 3rd SYN in retransmit code
> when the timestamp gets disabled.
> looking at the tcpdump, it is unclear why the SYNs are
> sent during active open without timestamp option.

The TCP stack seems to remember some information about which TCP options a
remote host is willing to accept.  If the remote system didn't accept a
timestamp the first time (perhaps it's talking to an old windows box which does
"MNNS"), there is no point in sending that option out the next time you open a
new connection to the same system.

--
-Chuck