Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:30:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Pete McKenna" <pmckenna@uswest.net>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Xeon update

> I was looking through the SMP Archive and haven't seen much recently on the
> quad Xeon box you had been testing.
>
> We are looking for a MRTG box to do our network metrics and it looks
> like this would hold us for awhile at the rate things are expanding. Can
> you me update on what's happened and if the onboard controllers are
> usable. We're are planning on running 3.0 release and only need 2 drives
> on either an adaptec or the onboard controller (I'm a bit fuzzy on what
> the onboard controller is)

The box is running quite stable at the moment (3.0-current).  I take it
you're looking for something with a lot of compute legs?

The system we have here is a pre-release Intel box; I don't know if
it's actually available for purchase anywhere, and for your needs it's
probably very much overspecified (3 PCI busses, 12-bay hotswap disk
array).

Both Acer and Toshiba were showing systems at Comdex using the same
processor array but with only 1 memory card (4GB max) and a smaller I/O
arrangement.

The Toshiba system was the Magnia 7000; their pages say it comes with a
53C896 (ncr) chipset SCSI controller, so it should be just fine.  They
were showing it with the AMI MegaRaid, which wouldn't be so good, as we
don't support it yet.

The Acer system was, I think, an Altos 21000, which looked to be the
same system down to the metalwork.  Street price on these should be
around the $10k mark according to Toshiba.