Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:47:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X + AfterStep questions

After 2-1/2 years of using FreeBSD on our web servers, I decided to try
this xwindows thing on my workstation.  I'm using 2.2.5-release with the
XFree86 and AfterStep ports included on the cdrom.

Overall, I like it a lot.  However, there are some problems I can't seem
to solve, primarily I'm sure because I don't understand the way X does
things :(

1) I telnet to a lot of different servers.  I set up my popup menu to
launch a xterms to machines, e.g. "xterm -e telnet machinename" with the
size/position I want.  However, I'd like them to start up using the
"Large" font rather than the default.  Alternatively, how do I set the
default font to another size.

2) Netscape's font rendering is horrible.  Is there something I need to do
to enable smooth scaling/rendering?  Turning off the "allow scaling"
option didn't really help.

3) I'm having no luck setting the desktop size.  It starts up in
1600x1280, I'd like 1280x1024.  I can use xvidtune to set the resolution
to 1280x1024, but the desktop remains 1600x1280.  Kinda cool, but not what
I want.  Afterstep mentions "turning off" XFree86's virtual desktop, but I
can't find how to do this.  XF86Config doesn't seem to be what I want for
this.

4) AfterStep appears to use "xv" to set the desktop bitmap.  However, this
app does not appear to be installed and I can't find it in the ports tree.
What is it and where can I get it?

5) Is there an office productivity suite or a word processor and
spreadsheet.  I seem to remember something called "Star Office" but can't
find it.

Thanks for any help you can give.  If I can get out of NT altogether, I'll
be a happy camper.