Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:36:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for diagnosing lockups

:I've got a box that's been running FreeBSD relatively problem-free for
:the last couple of years. I installed 4.2-R about a week ago, and
:started having lockups every night. A second box is checking on the
:problem box once a minute, and logging a message if it famils to
:connect. I can therefore determine that the lockup occurs reliably a
:shortly (less than a minute) after the periodic daily run
:starts. Running the periodic script by hand works fine. So does "make
:world".
:
:I've enabled DDB in the kernel, verified that it worked, then watched
:the system freeze. However, I normally leave X running on the box, and
:...

    Try doing the 'edit crontab to run daily in the next minute' trick
    after switching out of X into a VT.   e.g. 'crontab -e' and create
    a dummy entry to run the daily script at a particular time that will
    just happen to occur in a minute or two.

    I also recommend using 4.2-Stable rather then 4.2-Release.  4.2-Release
    has a number of bugs and security holes relative to stable.

						-Matt