Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 21:41:18 -0700
From:      Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giving users static IP adresses with pppd

Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> Well, the only difference I can see in your setup and mine is that you
> use options.c00 and I use a horrible case statement to assign ip
> addresses on the command line in a by-modem situation.
>
> What OS release are you using?
>
> Danny

On that machine, we have 2.1.7 - I'd love to upgrade it, but right now,
90% of our modems are attached to that machine, so I can't really afford
to take it down for the time it would take to upgrade. Have you ever
looked at the "ipcp-accept-remote" option? It looks to me like it lets
anybody insist on whatever IP they want. It doesn't sound like a good
thing to me, but maybe it could be used for letting people use their own
address.
Here's some other things I can think of that might make my setup
different from yours:
	1) We use mgetty, instead of plain old getty to answer modems
	2) In the options.ttyc0* files, each modem has its own host IP, as well
as unique client ID. The guy who set up our cyclades cards (and has
since left) assured me giving each modem its own host IP was necessary,
but I haven't seen anyhting to support this claim. Could this be a
problem?

One more question - Do you have your ppp client set up to still try to
negotiate its IP, or do you explicitly set it? (I use user-mode ppp to
dial from my 2.2.1 system).

Thanks for all the help!

Robert Ricci
rricci@theonlynet.com