Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:14:45 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make install error in fdp-primer

Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:26:41PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I can do a make from /usr/doc now but an install dies in fdp-primer.
>
> The only reason why you're able to do a make is the presence of some old
> files. Try to do a make clean; make all and you'll see what I'm talking
> about. The bug that saves you at the moment is the lack of decent
> dependecies.
>
> The build process should build compressed versions of the
> html files. Right now, it doesn't know to build them. The old versions
> are still around and are accpepted because the Makefiles don't know
> that foo.html.gz must be rebuilt if foo.html is newer than foo.html.gz.

Actually, I did a make clean. Nik commented on Questions yesterday
that he had added mods to fix the compressed problem and the "co"
problem that I was seeing. He also pointed out that he didn't follow
-questions, which is why I am here. If I'm going to follow the
doc-proj, I should comment on problems on this list.

> That's one of the reasons why I'm using my own build environment for
> single articles. It's defininig its own set of suffix rules. In other
> words, I have implicit dependencies: files that need to be rebuild will
> be rebuild and files that don't need to rebuild won't be rebuild. As
> It Should Be(TM).

The dependancies are a problem. If you have some old files around, you
don't get a complete build. That would be the equivalent of dependancy
testing the source and obj code but never checking timestamp of the
linked program. That is why the *.gz problem didn't appear for many
until they did a make clean.

> On the other hand, I'm only generating the .html and .html.gz files at
> the moment. Expanding the suffix rules to cover all the over formats
> will be a pain in the butt. Expanding them to cover the book case will
> be really interesting (i.e., an even bigger pain in the butt).

That is my main interest. I have the a docs folder on my KDE desktop,
which is just a simple link to the en_* articles and books
directories. A couple of clicks and I have the HTML files being
browsed by KDE. I have done diagnostic programming support for many
years and I have found the mind is very good at seeing what it wants
to see and not what is really there. Copying something from a printed
page produces this style of errors. It wouldn be so bad if we could
reliably see our own typo's when we are typing the text. Instead, we
utter foul words and whack our forehead when someone else points out
the problem :).

> > I couldn't find where this is occuring but the png's are in
> > imagelib/callouts and that isn't were the make file is trying to
> > install them from.
>
> That's easy:
> cd /usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/fdp-primer
> ln -s imagelib/callouts .
> mkdir /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/fdp-primer/callouts
>
> and restart your make install.

That's too easy. I was thinking along the lines of understanding the
makes. But, I have done the links before with some of the ports where
I had to link include directories for X11.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg