Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:24:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiler Flags problem with core2 CPU

> Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:37:27 +0800
> From: Aaron Lewis <aaron.lewis1989@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Compiler Flags problem with core2 CPU
> To: Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>=20
> Really ? It's bad to use custom flags to compile kernel ,
> why do you=20
> think so ?
> I'd like to know more about this : )
>=20
> So setting optimize compiler flags is only useful for
> userland stuff ?
>=20
I laughed at your question because I remember reading somewhere that using =
aggressive optimization options is a good way to find compiler bugs. I thin=
k that extends of optimizations for "new" CPU architectures as well.=20
I also heard kernel code avoids MMX instructions for some reason: it may ha=
ve to do with interrupt handling (fewer registers=3Dfaster?). x86 (and AMD6=
4) processors are backwards compatible, so you don't strictly need the late=
st instructions.

Regards,

James Phillips

______=0AThe new Internet Explorer=AE 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized=