Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:53:56 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <rkohler1@cox.rr.com>
To:        daverk@epix.net, simond@irrelevant.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re aub problem

On Thursday 17 January 2002 05:37 pm, Dave Kaufman wrote:
> it appears that indeed the nntp listing has been removed ( I have
> no idea how ) from /etc/services. what should the listing be? i
> can find nothing in the handbook or in 'Unleashed', or for that
> matter in the aub documentation.
>
> is this a service that has to be started? if so where do i do
> that. the handbook says it can be done in rc.local but that it
> should be the approach of last resort.

You don't need to start any services, just get that /etc/services
file back into shape. If you have the sources installed, you can
just cp /usr/src/etc/services /etc/services, otherwise go to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/services?rev=1.62.2.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
and hit the download link at the top, and save the file there.

--
Ray Kohler
"When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical"