Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:56:05 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bind9 startup

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 04:48:52PM +0100, Kai Voigt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how to start the bind9 port at system startup?  I set named_enable to "NO"
> in /etc/rc.conf and created a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named.sh script:

*snip*

> I was wondering why such a script wasn't installed by the port.  Or am
> I missing something and bind9 is started in another way?

Because it is easier to start bind9 via rc.conf:

$ grep named /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# named.  It may be possible to run named in a sandbox, man security for
named_enable="NO"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="named"           # path to named, if you want a different one.
named_flags=""                  # Flags for named
#named_flags="-u bind -g bind"  # Flags for named

(i.e., add 'named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"' to rc.conf)

--
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org