Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2019 14:31:27 -0500
From:      Brian Bilbrey <bilbreycomm@orbdesigns.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs on hardware raid array

(Bcc=E2=80=99d to the OP)

You *could* do what I=E2=80=99ve done in the past - make each disk into =
a single disk volume presented by the array, then use the presented =
volumes to make your mirrors, z2s, etc=E2=80=A6 I=E2=80=99m not running =
that anymore, but it was fine and reliable for years. A failed disk =
could be replaced in the array, then re-presented to the OS for rebuild. =
I actually kept a presented volume back to use as a warm spare in those =
circumstances.=20

A reasonably inexpensive alternative is to replace the controller with =
one that permits JBOD.

Best,

Brian

> On Jan 19, 2019, at 10:07, Maciej Jan Broniarz <gausus@gausus.net> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I want to use ZFS on a hardware-raid array. I have no option of making =
it JBOD. I know it is best to use ZFS on JBOD, but=20
> that possible in that particular case. My question is - how bad of an =
idea is it. I have read very different opinions on that subject, but =
none of them seems conclusive.