Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:39:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@netreach.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some nice advice....

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Pete Fritchman wrote:

> If you get compromised, why does it matter?
> The attacker compiles a new kernel, waits for you to reboot, boom.

Because my production machine never got rebooted, except for hardware
or for new kernels.  Anything else would be investigated.  If you
got root on the box, you likely wouldn't have it past a reboot, so
not habing a sniffable interface would be an advantage.  I don't
think it is that big a deal though.

David Scheidt