Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:28:45 -0600
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

On Friday 24 December 2004 17:08, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > > Responding to Chris: CSS is neither outdated nor a Windows thing.  You
> > > apparently need to get an extra clue or two before you rejoin this
> > > discussion.
> >
> > Not really - Some years back MS made a big issue about CSS. It was
> > then that I lost interest in web devel. Besides - web devel isn't my
> > bag, so I really don't think that I need to have or get a clue.
>
> CSS is a W3 standard, but was originally designed by the CTO of Opera
> Software, a company which is one of Microsoft's more vocal detractors
> and which recently received a large settlement in a lawsuit regarding
> Microsoft's (alleged) intentional efforts to make their website render
> poorly in Opera's browser.  IE handles CSS1 badly, and CSS2 almost not
> at all.  Calling it a Windows thing severely misrepresents the facts.
>
> > One does not need to know how to rebuild an engine to know how to
> > drive the car.
>
> One should not criticize the design of an engine while vehemently
> claiming to have no interest in how enginges are built.
>
> DES

Hey, beastie!

I've just come back to the list after some years away, and I must say I've
been well entertained by the "Visual Identity" thread these last few days!

Someone, I forget whom, kept mentioning the "bikeshed," and that is what
caught my attention.  So I went the the plain-old drab website at
www.freebsd.org and enterend the term in the search form, just to refresh my
memory.  Then I followed all of the links until I came to the original
"bikeshed" post.  I include a link here for reference, in case anyone else
wants a good laugh:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=506636+517178+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-hackers/19991003.freebsd-hackers

Hope the link doesn't get folded in the email process.

I think that one does not necessarily have to have experience building a
bikeshed to know what it is.  But it's always good exercise building one!

Flame On!

lane
P.S.  I also looked up Brett Glass on google.  They say any publicity is good
publicity, but I'm not so sure in his case.