Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:39:01 -0400
From:      matt payne <mattapayne@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   firewall/natd box dropping connection?

Hi,

I've got an AMD K6-2-300 with 32 megs of RAM running FBSD 4.3-Release. It's
acting as the gateway computer to the internet for my small home LAN. The ISP
is rogers@home :(. I'm using ipfirewall and natd to provide the connection to
the rest of the computers. The firewall is set to "open" at the moment (I'll
set the rules when I have a little spare time), with the default rc.firewall
configuration. Rogers uses DHCP, but my ip, etc. are (or seem to be) static.
The gateway box has 2 NICs, one to the ouside, one to the LAN.

The problem is that it keeps dropping the connection. This usually occurs
every 6 - 20 hours or so. The strange thing is that the only way to get it
back is to shut the computer ond the cable modem down, then restart. Then
everything is back to normal until it happens again.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt