Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:33:20 +0100
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Luca Presotto <Luca.Presotto@cern.ch>
Cc:        questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Could not find package - using ports

Luca wrote:
 >> The reason that portupgrade -P was not using packages is that, by
 >> default it fetches packages  built against the tree that's on the
 >> install disks, so there wont be any for updated ports.
 >>
 >> You can set portupgrade to fetch packages for the 7-stable development
 >> branch (you can google for how to do this). For the most part this
will
 >> work, but occasionally there will be library problems.
 >
 >Thank you, now it's clear.
 >I will  try this as soon as I can.

I did that and would not do it again for a massive upgrade:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-August/180336.html

Using freebsd-update for a (minor version) upgrade to 7.1-RC1 and after
that using 7.1-RELEASE packages for a portupgrade will probably take
less time overall.

See the 7.1-RC1 announcement on how to do the first part:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-December/047014.html

When it is available, you should upgrade to 7.1-RELEASE, which will take
less time with freebsd-update from 7.1-RC1 than from 7.0-RELEASE, since
there are less configuration file changes to be merged.

For the portupgrade, you should have in mind that portupgrade uses the
ports tree to know what to upgrade to which version. Your ports tree is
newer than the 7.1-RELEASE packages. Anyhow, if the newest package is
not available but a newer one than the one installed, portupgrade
usually works, too. Reading /usr/ports/UPDATING before is still advisable.

You might still run into problems of the nature that kde was used to be
build against openldap23-client at the time of 7.0-RELEASE, but the
7.1-RELEASE packages are build against openldap24-client and these two
ports cannot coexist. With ports this is not a problem, since it can be
build against either version. (AFAIR, this particular case will work out
fine, but there was something else requiring manual work besides
everything listed in UPDATING.)

Probably not for 7.0->7.1, but in some cases removing all packages and
reinstalling all takes less time than anything else.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik