Date:      04 Feb 2003 11:47:45 -0800
From:      Eric Anholt <anholt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, kde@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdebase3 Makefile

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 10:36, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 February 2003 19:09, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > [ Moved to -ports, -kde ]
>
> [Talking about Xft2, and speaking for myself, not kde@]
>
> > There are two substantial benefits in hacking it into XFree86-4-libs:
> >
> > 	. the usual X-clients (XTerm, etc.) will use it too,
> > 	  reducing run-time RAM usage, by sharing more libraries
> > 	  with Qt-based programs;
> > 	. none of the Xft2 aware software will need the -lXft to -lXft2
> > 	  and Xft.h to Xft2.h patching -- the Mozilla with whatever
> > 	  GNOME/GTK will just work.
> >
> > Kind of like the freetype2 dependency currently in XFree86-4-libs...
> > The only reason not to do it, IMHO -- Eric's call -- is that 4.3.0
> > may be out soon...
>
> And, IMO, we should wait for it to be there, to save quite a few
> hassles. Why patch several ports to handle the current (broken)
> situation, when they would need to be unpatched once 4.3.0 is out?

Because I don't see 4.3.0 as necessarily being the time for the
unrenaming to happen.  I would stop/fix Xft1 building in XFree86 4.2.0
today, I think, if we could get Xft1-using ports to not break with Xft2.

So, it would be valuable for someone to find the ports that use Xft1 and
break when using Xft2 without our renaming patches.  To do that, remove
all the existing Xft files (X11BASE/include/X11/Xft, lib/libXft*),
remove the patches from Xft port and install it, then try building any
ports that use Xft.  Gnome's pango breaks, as I found out when I tried
this, what else?

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org