Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:07:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Scylla (pat. pending) and Charibdes.NET

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Jamie Bowden said on Oct 31, 2001 at 11:38:41:
> > :Why not support your local bookseller instead?
> >
> > Because paying more for a smaller selection is right up there on the list
> > of stupid things to do with your time.
>
> Is it?  Depends on how you define "stupid".
>
> One can't leaf through a book at Amazon, or read a few pages, or
> browse an entire bookshelf looking for something that grabs your
> attention.
>
> So if you're so cost conscious, perhaps one can do the browsing at the
> bookstore and the purchasing at Amazon.  Personally, if I like the
> book that much, I'd rather pay a bit extra and have it right away.

The cost differential isn't that great, either, if you include the cost of
shipping.

> Oh, and many booksellers do have catalogues and are willing to order
> stuff for you.  Their selection is not so much worse than Amazon's.

Just about any bookstore can get you any in-print book, usually from their
normal suppliers, who are the same ones that Amazon, Borders, and B&N deal
with.  If your tastes are out of the mainstream, Amazon et al aren't going
to have it in stock, either, so it'll take longer for you to get the book.
The book has to go from the publisher (or their distributor) to Amazon, to
you.  A local bookstore orders it from the same distributor, and then call
you to come pick it up when it comes in.  Saves a day or two.

David