Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:02:13 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        freebsd <freebsd@epx.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about network layers in FreeBSD 4.x

freebsd wrote:

> I have a system I run FreeBSD 4.5-release on.  The purpose of this system is
> to run Snort (IDS).
>
> The current system is a Compaq Proliant 1850R, have also tried on a Compaq
> Proliant 1600R.
>
> Both systems are SMP with dual processors, > 256m ram, and Compaq Smart Array
> controller to handle raid in hardware.

FreeBSD 4.x (did-you notice 4.6 has been released ?) is not very good at
using SMP machines where there are lots of interrupts (the kernel can
only be run by one CPU at any one time, and this is enforced by a "Big
Giant Lock").

you should re-run your test without the SMP option, to see it the
problem is still here (it should not)

then, there are kernel options in recent versions of FreeBSD enabling an
optimized use of the interrupts (DEVICE POLLING). this may help you, if
the driver has been modified.

I used a cheap 4-port NIC from DLINK (DFE-570-TX) with very good success
(this is the dc driver)

	Hope this helps

	TfH