Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 16:53:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@aida.remcomp.fr>
To:        eay@mincom.oz.au (Eric Young)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, eBones and crypt availble for non-US!

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Mark Murray wrote:
> 1) I am trying to find pointers to the official legal status of crypto
>    code in various countries. I know that the USA/Canada considers this
>    to be a munition, so exporting it illegally is like gun running.
>    I heard a rumour that Australia was the same. I also heard something
>    about this code being illegal for possession in France. Any comments/
>    pointers?

I in France crypto code is considered as war weapons. Nevertheless it is
possible to sell security program using cripto code after a declaration
to the ministry of defence. The source codes and algorithms are needed.
It may take month to get the agreement. I think that the software sold
by one of the compagnies of my boss is based on DES. The use of PGP
is still illegal. I've found the DES packages for FreeBSD on the ftp site
of a French university. I got it but I'm not sure if I can really use this
code or even if it was normal to find it on the ftp site of a French
University.

Didier Derny
didier@aida.remcomp.fr