Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 16:00:03 +0100
From:      "Mark Ackroyd" <mark@ackroyd.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   User Configuration help.

Hiya,

I just installed freeBSD 4.5 over ftp, after downloading the 2 floppies
and running them on a spare machine. I`am very impressed on how easy it
was :-). I have machine up and running now but have a few things wrong
that I don`t understand.

1) A created a "mark" user, so that I`m not logged in as root all the
time. The machine is on an isolated lan so I`m not to worried about
security, But I`d prefer not to be able to login over ssh straight into
root.   So I log in as mark and try to su up to root and I get this.

"su: you are not in the correct group (wheel) to su root."

How do I fix this?

2) /stand/sysinstall all of a sudden starting display the characters all
screwy. I didn`t play with the fonts ( although I have now in an attempt
to fix it )  the up and down arrow keys now exit the menus rather than
more up and down the selection.  It`s a bit odd.. I have to use the +
and - keys on the numeric keypad to move up and down.   What have I
screwed here?

Thanks...

Mark Ackroyd
mark@ackroyd.net