Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:15:46 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1186117148.bb0221@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with mysql database

David Banning wrote:
> I have recently converted from mysql 4.1 to 5.0 and some of my
> tables are not recogized. Using the mysql_upgrade utility is
> not effective as -it- does not recognize certain tables.
>
> On closer examination I see that the tables that are -not- recognize
> have the following extensions;
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  147787 Jul 23 02:44 company.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   13312 Jul 23 02:44 company.ISM
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql    9064 Dec  8  2006 company.frm
>
> while the tables that have no problem have different extensions;
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  3592 Jul 28 23:49 Employees.MYD
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1024 Jul 28 23:49 Employees.MYI
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  9174 Dec 19  2006 Employees.frm
>
> Any idea whats going on here?

ISM files are from the old (depreciated, removed) ISAM table engine.
This was superseded by the MyISAM table engine.

As detailed in the upgrade documentation for MySQL 5, you must change
the database engine prior to upgrading, as MySQL 5 no longer has support
for the old ISAM engine.

This can be accomplished by logging in as a user with ALTER privileges
on the tables in question, and issuing an
ALTER TABLE table_name TYPE MyISAM;
or
ALTER TABLE table_name TYPE InnoDB;
before upgrading to MySQL 5.

If you've already upgraded, you must find a copy of 4.x recent enough to
understand the tables, and use that to convert or dump them.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/