Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:41:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Hench <hench@cae.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2 HARD lockup RFC b4 i try it again.

Hi. i built 2.2 (RELENG_2_2) from this morning 11/8 sup (CST).
it did not work well :-)
it locked up HARD on me 3X, 2x in quota check and once in fsck.
disk light just sat there staring at me. (diff disks each time)
it never booted sucsessfully with the new kernel.
i have 3940U + 7 4 gig segate hawks. 6 in a ccd. ccd has quotas.
(tyan tomcat I w/256meg in 32M simms if that means anything)
last known working setup was from late august (this is a production box).
and that was the configuration when i made world. it always locked up
while doing something (fsck or quota) with the  CCD but one time
the light on the boot disk stayed on leading me to believe it is not
strictly CCD related.
I had heard about some scsi changes right (before?) the 2_2 tag, ill see
if i can look those up and try it b4 those went in unless someone has a
better idea. i can probably work on this 11/9 evening CST but there are
too many users on sundays to fart around with it. (sorry i got to let the
users get the box with all the disk, my test box has IDE :-( )
it may be just operator error on my part, but it was a clean build
(rm -rf /usr/src; rm -rf /usr/obj; cvs co -r RELENG_2_2 -P src; make ...)

any ideas would be appreciated.

thank you very much.
mike hench
hench@cae.uwm.edu