Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:40:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem after installkernel going from 9.0 to CURRENT

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	(While this may not be a strictly CURRENT issue, I asked on
> questions@, but have not found a solution.)
>
> 	Situation:
> 	One of my boxes failed, and for various reasons it became easier to
> just scrub and rebuild it. Like its predecessor it will run CURRENT
> 	1) Using BSDinstall, I flushed then created the first disk:
>
> ada2p1	freebsd-boot	128k
> ada2p2	freebsd-swap	4g
> ada2p3	freebsd-ufs	25g
>
> 	(There are non-bootable disks at ada0, -1, and -3.)
>
> 	2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, got it up and running, everything was
> good.
> 	3) Used csup (tag=.) to update the source tree as of 00:01 on 12/30.
> 	4a) Built world - OK.
> 	4b) Build kernel - OK.
> 	4c) Ran mergemaster - OK.
> 	4d) Installed kernel - OK.
> 	5) On rebooting, the loader(??) claims to not be able to find a
> bootable partition - i.e. I get a screen that ends in "mountroot > ".
> Providing the presumptive value by hand returns "error 19".
> 	6) Boot using installation CD and use "gpart show" to double check
> device names and partitions; everything looks good.
> 	7) Try normal booting again, no go.
>
> 	This is my first time installing to a completely GPT partitioned
> system, and I have (obviously) failed to grok something.  I checked
> src/UPDATING and found nothing which covered this.
> 	What have I bungled, and how do I fix it?

It really does not sound like a GPT problem, because 9.0 booted.  The
-current kernel can't find/detect the device.  Scrolling back in the
console buffer might find a problem.  buildworld/kernel/installworld do
not affect the disk partitioning, but can change the code that looks for
those partitions.